Your daily news update on Cabo Verde

Provided by AGP

Got News to Share?

AGP Executive Report

Your go-to archive of top headlines, summarized for quick and easy reading.

Note: These AI-generated summaries are based on news headlines, with neutral sources weighted more heavily to reduce bias.

Over the last 12 hours, reporting has focused on the evolving international response to the hantavirus outbreak linked to the MV Hondius—especially WHO’s messaging that the situation is not a “Covid-like” pandemic. WHO said the first case “could not have been infected during the cruise,” citing the Andes virus incubation period (between one and six weeks, typically two to three), and stressed that it “does not anticipate large epidemic” or a pandemic. WHO also reiterated that the public health risk is low, while warning that additional cases could still be reported given the incubation window.

A major operational theme in the same period is contact tracing and passenger tracking after people left the ship before the outbreak was fully recognized. Multiple reports describe global efforts to trace passengers who disembarked at Saint Helena (with figures reported as 29 by the operator and around 40 by Dutch authorities), including people who later traveled to places such as the UK, the Netherlands, and the US. In parallel, health authorities in several countries are monitoring returnees: the UKHSA reported two Britons self-isolating after possible exposure, and US authorities are monitoring residents in multiple states (with reporting that none show symptoms so far). WHO and national agencies also described ongoing coordination with European public health bodies as the ship heads toward Spain’s Canary Islands.

In the last 12 hours, there are also concrete updates on evacuations and clinical monitoring. Reporting says three evacuees (British, Dutch, and German) were transferred for treatment in Europe, and a Dutch health ministry update described a flight attendant in Amsterdam admitted for testing after contact with a case. Spain’s health authorities meanwhile signaled they have “legal tools” including quarantine options, and the ship’s approach to Tenerife has been accompanied by heightened scrutiny and planning for assessments on arrival.

Looking back over the prior days (24 to 72 hours ago and 3 to 7 days ago), the coverage shows continuity in the outbreak’s core facts: three deaths linked to the Hondius, WHO’s identification of the Andes strain, and the ship’s anchoring near Cape Verde followed by movement toward the Canary Islands. Earlier reporting also emphasized the origin investigation, including hypotheses that exposure may have occurred during a birdwatching trip and/or at a landfill site in Argentina, and that human-to-human transmission is considered uncommon—though WHO has still treated close contacts as a key precaution.

Over the last 12 hours, the dominant news across international outlets has been the rapid medical response and onward movement of the Dutch-flagged cruise ship MV Hondius, which has been at the center of a rare hantavirus outbreak off Cape Verde. Multiple reports say three people were evacuated Wednesday (including two sick patients and one close contact), with two arriving in Amsterdam and being taken to separate hospitals, while the ship then departed Cape Verde and headed toward Spain’s Canary Islands. Spain’s health authorities also indicated the ship is expected to reach Tenerife within three days, with passenger evacuation starting May 11, and that asymptomatic passengers would be repatriated after medical processing at the port.

At the same time, health agencies continued to emphasize that the broader public risk remains limited. The WHO reiterated that the outbreak is not comparable to COVID-19, and that overall public health risk remains low, while also confirming the outbreak involves the Andes strain and that contact tracing and monitoring are underway. Japan’s health ministry similarly urged the public to stay calm, saying the risk of person-to-person spread would remain low with proper management of patients and contacts. In the United States, the CDC said it is monitoring American passengers and that the risk to the wider public is “very low,” with monitoring reported in multiple states.

A key development in the last 12 hours is the continued spread of the response beyond the ship itself: reports describe passengers returning home and being placed under self-isolation or monitored by authorities. The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said two people who returned to Britain from the Hondius were self-isolating despite no symptoms, and that close contacts are also being supported and monitored. Other coverage also points to Europe-based cases and follow-up testing (including a Swiss case reported after return), reinforcing that authorities are tracking potential exposures among travelers who left the vessel earlier.

In the broader 3–7 day background, coverage shows how the situation escalated from deaths aboard the ship to a wider international health operation. Earlier reporting describes the outbreak unfolding over weeks, with three deaths and multiple confirmed/suspected cases, and it highlights the investigation into origins—including Argentina’s hypothesis that a Dutch couple contracted the virus during bird-watching at a landfill in Ushuaia. It also documents the political and logistical friction around docking plans in the Canary Islands, which has shaped the timing of evacuations and repatriations.

Overall, the most significant change in the rolling 7-day window is not a new jump in confirmed cases in the last hours, but the operational transition: from an anchored, isolated ship off Cape Verde to evacuations and medical transfers in Europe, alongside expanded monitoring of travelers who already returned home. The evidence provided is strongest on the evacuation/route timeline and on repeated WHO/CDC/UKHSA messaging that the general public risk remains low, while authorities continue tracing contacts and exposures.

Over the last 12 hours, Cabo Verde Journal’s coverage has been dominated by the unfolding international response to a suspected hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius, which has been anchored off Cape Verde with “nearly 150” people on board. The WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, announced that three suspected hantavirus patients were evacuated from the ship and are being transported to the Netherlands for medical care, with monitoring and follow-up initiated for those still on board and those already disembarked. Reports also describe air ambulances departing Cape Verde to retrieve the patients, and investigators’ attention has focused on how the outbreak may have started, including a leading theory involving a couple contracting the virus during a bird-watching trip in Argentina.

A key development in the same window is the confirmation and expansion of the outbreak’s strain and geographic footprint. South Africa confirmed that the Andes strain—described as capable of rare human-to-human transmission—was identified in two people evacuated from the ship (a Dutch woman who died in Johannesburg and a British man in hospital). Switzerland also reported a man who returned home after being a passenger testing positive and being treated in Zurich, reinforcing that the cluster is no longer confined to the ship itself. Multiple reports reiterate that, despite the seriousness of the illness, the WHO continues to assess the overall public health risk as low, while still coordinating contact tracing and medical follow-up.

Another major thread in the last 12 hours is the logistics and politics of where the ship can dock. Spain’s health ministry said passengers would be repatriated after the vessel docks in Tenerife, and the ship was described as heading toward Spain’s Canary Islands, but regional opposition from the Canary Islands leadership has continued to shape the timeline and destination details. Coverage also notes that Spain granted permission for docking, while the Canary Islands president sought meetings and raised concerns about information and public safety—creating a continuing coordination challenge even as evacuations proceed.

In the broader 7-day arc, the coverage provides context for why Cabo Verde is central to the response: earlier reporting described the ship’s quarantine/anchoring off Cape Verde, the initial focus on rodent-associated transmission, and the escalation from suspected cases to confirmed infections. The older material also shows continuity in the WHO-led approach—monitoring passengers and crew, coordinating with national authorities, and using international health frameworks—while the most recent updates show a shift toward strain-specific findings (Andes) and cross-border medical evacuations.

Separately, Cabo Verde Journal also carried routine regional governance coverage in the same period: ECOWAS plans to deploy about 100 observers for Cabo Verde’s legislative elections (May 17), with a situation room and daily updates planned around key stages of the electoral process. This is not directly linked to the hantavirus story, but it reflects ongoing domestic and regional institutional activity during the same week.

Sign up for:

Cabo Verde Journal

The daily local news briefing you can trust. Every day. Subscribe now.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.

Share us

on your social networks:

Sign up for:

Cabo Verde Journal

The daily local news briefing you can trust. Every day. Subscribe now.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.